Thursday, January 19, 2012

Religion in Mexico

       Whenever I personally think of religion in Mexico I think Catholic, well that is the most common there so it makes sense but I didn't realize some things about Mexico like how the government actually had restrictions place on religion which strikes me as weird because I had always thought Mexico to be a pretty religious place, especially because of all of their religious holidays and churches that seem to be everywhere. There are actually quite a bit of other religions that people practice in Mexico which I have neither seen nor heard of being there.

    
       Mexico really doesn't have an official religion however around 83% of it's people are Roman Catholic, which being that I live in the U.S. seems crazy to me because of how many different religions there are and how many more people seem to be Lutheran. Their constitution of 1917 made limitations on the church. The government does not give money to the church, nor does the church participate in public education. Christmas is still a national holiday and every year during Easter and Christmas all schools in Mexico, public and private, give their students a break. In 1992, Mexico lifted almost all restrictions on the religions, conceding them limited property, and lifting restrictions on the number of priests in the country. I found it odd that they would limit the number of priests in the country it never occured to me that that could even be a problem it makes me wonder if there is some kind of limit in the U.S. (honestly I doubt it though). Until recently, priests did not have the right to vote! This is crazy, it seems to me that they are discriminating against their own religious leaders, it really makes no sense to me but I guess they really didn't want to give them power.

No comments:

Post a Comment